The majestic Live Oak. The brilliant Autumn Blaze Maple. The silvery Mexican Sycamore. Shade trees are a beautiful addition to any landscape, providing value and environmental benefits to the homeowner. At Tex-Scapes, we sell shade trees that grow well in our North Texas climate. Since Tex-Scapes has both a garden center and a landscaping division, we sell individual trees to the individual homeowner, and we also sell trees that are needed in professional landscaping projects all around the Waxahachie, Corsicana, and Ennis, Texas area.
Which Shade Trees Grow Well in the Waxahachie and Corsicana Area?
A shade tree grows large with a spreading canopy, which provides shelter from the sunlight. Not all types of shade trees will grow well in our particular part of the state. The experts at Tex-Scapes understand soil type and drought tolerance, and they only choose trees that will actually grow in North Texas. Let's learn a little more about some of the trees we sell in our nursery.
- Texas Oak: This beautiful tree's leaves turn deep red in the fall. Its wood is sometimes used for making posts or cut for fuel, but it works well as a landscape tree in our area.
- Shumard Red Oak: Another beautiful tree that turns red in the fall, it is closely related to the Texas Oak. It grows quickly and can reach heights of 120 feet. It likes moist, well-drained soil, but it can adapt to drier soil.
- Bur Oak: This large tree has big leaves, which cast a deep shade. It is very drought-tolerant and also very heat-tolerant. It can adapt to different soil types.
- Live Oak: Big, long-lasting, and with a crown as big as Texas itself, these majestic trees adapt well to different soils and are drought-tolerant.
- Chinquapin Oak: This tree has attractive saw-tooth leaves in a rich green color. In the fall they turn yellow to bronze. This tree is very heat tolerant and isn't bothered much with pests or diseases.
- Autumn Blaze Maple: This maple looks spectacular in its orange and red fall colors. It grows quickly and is adaptable to a large range of soil types. It grows in a nice uniform oval shape.
- Pecan: The state tree of Texas, the Pecan grows quickly to about 90 feet and is very heat tolerant. It spreads plenty of shade, but it also drops its fruit, leaves, and twigs onto the lawn.
- Chinese Pistache: This medium-sized shade tree is a native to China, but it grows very well in Texas. It turns lovely shades of orange and red in the fall, and it has an umbrella-shaped canopy. Pest-free, drought and heat-tolerant, this is a nice, hardy tree.
- Cedar Elm: Native to North Texas, this tree grows well in different types of soils and has great drought tolerance. Its fall leaves turn golden yellow.
- Bald Cypress: This long-lived tree grows best in boggy places, but it can withstand drier soil, too. It is a deciduous conifer with needle-like leaves that look feathery and turn bronze or brown in the fall.
- Mexican Sycamore: A native to Mexico, this sycamore adapts well to different types of soil. It grows fast and large, providing excellent shade. Its leaves are green on the top and white or silver underneath, making a pretty contrast on breezy days.
Choose a Shade Tree that's Right for You
Out of all the great choices available, how do you know which one is right for you? You need to ask yourself a few questions:
- How much room is there for the tree to grow?
- Do you want a tree that grows quickly?
- Is the soil on your property dry or wet or somewhere in-between?
- Do you want a tree that requires little maintenance?
If you know the answers to these questions, our tree experts at Tex-Scapes Nursery can guide you to some varieties that we think will fit your requirements.
Unique Benefits of Growing a Shade Tree on Your Ennis, TX Property
Reduce your energy costs.
When part of your house is well-shaded by your tree, your house doesn't get as hot. That means you won't have to run the air-conditioning as much. That saves you a significant amount of money, and it saves energy.
Increase your property value.
A healthy shade tree can add some serious value to your home. If it is mature and well-positioned on the property, it can add between $1,000 and $10,000 to your property's value!
Reduce your carbon footprint.
Planting trees will improve your air quality, provide habitats and food for wildlife, absorb carbon dioxide, and preserve topsoil. All this is great for the environment, plus it offsets the carbon footprint your home and vehicle emissions leave.
Clean the air of pollutants.
Trees act like big air filters, absorbing pollutants in the air and trapping tiny particulates that are floating around. A forest can improve the air quality on a global scale, but a big backyard tree can improve the air quality on your property. Not only do trees take away the bad stuff, they provide the oxygen that we need to breathe.
How to Tell When Your Tree is Sick
We hope that all the trees we sell will become well-established in their permanent homes and grow healthy and strong. Unfortunately, that's not always the way it works. Trees can become diseased, attacked by insects or fungi, or they can succumb to environmental stress, such as drought. It is also possible that some physical change to the area around the tree, like building a driveway, could damage the root system of the tree.
If you notice that your tree's leaves look discolored, deformed, or have holes in them, you may have a problem that needs to be addressed by a professional. Other symptoms of a sick tree include cracks in the bark, branches that are wilting, and wood decay. It is important to get professional help for your tree quickly because often the disease is advanced by the time you notice the symptoms.
Other Ways Our Ennis, Texas Garden Store Can Serve You
Our Nursery and Garden Store is full of great things that will help you grow beautiful trees, plant lovely gardens, and enhance your property. Check out our excellent stock of hand-picked organic gardening supplies. Also, look in our nursery for a fantastic selection of all kinds of plants and flowers that you can grow in your North Texas property.
The best way to get the friendly and knowledgeable "Tex-Scapes Experience" is to stop by our Ennis, Texas location. This convenient location is under 20 minutes from Waxahachie and just as easy to get to from Corsicana. We'll greet you when you drive in, and we hope you'll feel right at home. If you have questions about trees (or anything else we offer here), please feel free to contact us. We're open all year round.
Visit the Premiere Garden Supply Store in Ennis, Texas
We love our garden supply store, and we think you will, too. Visit us at the following hours:
Give Us a Holler!
If you want to learn more about organic gardening in Ennis, Texas, or you need some organic gardening supplies, come on in and talk to us. At Tex-Scapes Nursery and Landscape, we believe that providing the best products, hometown friendly atmosphere, and superb customer service is what good neighbors do.
Or, you can always contact us online and we'll get back to you.
We're passionate gardeners ourselves and we understand how important your organic garden is. From bagged top soil to organic fertilizers, plants, trees, and gardening tools, we've got everything you need to get going. And, if you ever have a question, or need some help, we'll be happy to lend a hand.