Our landscaping experts know how much beauty well-placed ornamental trees can add to your property. Ornamental trees are grown for decorative purposes in gardens and landscapes. They add an interesting focal point that you and your family will enjoy looking at all year long. If you are considering planting an ornamental tree in your Ennis, Texas yard, allow us to assist you in finding the right one. Our Nursery and Garden Center sells ornamental trees to individual homeowners, and our landscaping division uses ornamental trees in landscape design projects all around the Waxahachie and Corsicana area. The experts at Tex-Scapes know the types of trees that will grow well in our North Texas climate, and we can help you find one that suits your needs.
Ornamental Trees for Your Texas Landscape in the Waxahachie and Corsicana Area
- Texas Redbud: Go for a pop of bright spring color with this tree's purplish-red blooms! This small tree grows best in well-drained soil and does better in partial shade.
- Crepe Myrtle: This adaptable and long-lived tree grows flower clusters all summer, and in the fall its leaves turn color, too! They prefer full sun, and they are drought-tolerant and disease-resistant.
- Smoke Tree: Called the Smoke Tree because its fruit and flowers grow into a cloudy, smoky appearance, this small tree can be a lovely addition to your landscape. It has decorative bark, blue-green leaves in spring and summer, and in fall the leaves turn bright orange and red. It is drought-tolerant and disease-resistant.
- Vitex: This small tree grows heavy spikes of fragrant lavender flowers in early summer. It is drought-tolerant and pest-resistant, plus it attracts butterflies to your yard. Vitex is also known as Chaste Tree.
- Chinese Pistachio: A beautiful tree that is good for both ornament and shade, the Chinese Pistachio's leaves will turn bright orange-red colors in the fall. It is drought-tolerant, heat-tolerant, and disease-resistant. It likes to grow in full sun.
- Japanese Maple: Although these pretty little trees are native to Japan, they do grow well in shady places in Texas. There are many varieties and colors, ranging from green to deep red. They grow into an elegant form, and their leaves look delicate, changing into beautiful colors spring and fall. These maples grow best in watered, well-drained soil.
- Desert Willow: Its leaves look like willow tree leaves, but this small deciduous tree is actually related to catalpa trees. It grows funnel-shaped ruffled flowers in beautiful purple and pink colors. It grows quickly and is drought-tolerant. The pretty, scented flowers will attract birds and butterflies to your yard.
- Texas Mountain Laurel: This popular Texas native is an evergreen with glossy, leathery leaves, and aromatic lavender flower clusters. It grows slowly, usually reaching a height of 10-15 feet. Its bright red seeds may look nice but they are poisonous.
- Eastern Red Cedar: This evergreen tree is native to Texas and is drought-tolerant and heat-tolerant. It can grow to 25 feet tall and 20 feet wide, making it a nice tree for screening purposes.
- Little Gem Magnolia: A dark green evergreen with showy white flowers, this tree grows upright with a rounded canopy. It blooms from early summer to late fall, making it a nice choice if you really enjoy large flowers.
- Teddy Bear Magnolia: Similar to the Little Gem Magnolia, this evergreen also produces white flowers, but its leaves are larger and grow more compact. Both types of Magnolias are good for accent trees and growing in rows to provide privacy.
What Makes Great Ornamental Trees?
Now that you know the names and characteristics of a few of our favorite ornamental trees, you have a decision to make. Which one is going to be right for your Ennis, TX landscape? Here are some tips to help you decide:
- Is your tree going to be an accent tree or placed in a grouping of other trees and plants? Although all of the above trees look well alone, some may grow better than others in full sun. Some, like the Japanese Maple, need shade. The evergreens are pretty, and they are also useful for creating natural screens if grown in a row.
- Do you like flowers? Some of these ornamental trees bloom longer than others. We love the Crepe Myrtle because its flowers keep blooming all summer long.
- Are you looking to attract birds and butterflies? Find a tree with big, fragrant blossoms, like the Desert Willow.
- Do you like trees that change dramatically in different seasons? Find a deciduous tree with brilliant fall colors, such as the Chinese Pistachio.
- Will it grow well in your soil and climate? We only sell trees that grow well in our North Texas climate. As for soil, let our experts know your soil type, and they will direct you to the trees that will work for you.
You Can Enjoy a Whole New Landscape Using Our Many Ennis, Texas Landscape and Garden Services
Our garden store and nursery in Ennis, Texas offers everything you need to make your landscape healthy and beautiful. Check out our hand-picked inventory of organic gardening supplies. Choose lovely plants and flowers to go along with your ornamental trees. Add tasteful garden decor to show your unique personality.
If you want to enjoy a new landscape in the Waxahachie and Corsicana area, but you aren't sure where to start, take advantage of our landscape design services. We will give you the look you desire, and quality customer service you deserve. Stop by our Ennis, Texas store location, or contact us on the web. We look forward to hearing from you!
Visit the Premiere Garden Supply Store in Ennis, Texas
We love our garden supply store, and we think you will, too. Visit us at the following hours:
Give Us a Holler!
If you want to learn more about organic gardening in Ennis, Texas, or you need some organic gardening supplies, come on in and talk to us. At Tex-Scapes Nursery and Landscape, we believe that providing the best products, hometown friendly atmosphere, and superb customer service is what good neighbors do.
Or, you can always contact us online and we'll get back to you.
We're passionate gardeners ourselves and we understand how important your organic garden is. From bagged top soil to organic fertilizers, plants, trees, and gardening tools, we've got everything you need to get going. And, if you ever have a question, or need some help, we'll be happy to lend a hand.